What is it?
A bill of materials (BOM) is a list of items used to perform maintenance activities. An Asset or Equipment BOM outlines the material associated with that particular asset or set of similar assets. They are typically created in a hierarchical manner outlining relationships between asset, associated components and material items.
When done right, BOMs can be used to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of a number of core business processes:
Maintenance Planning & Scheduling
Despite these benefits most companies have very low asset BOM coverage – driving process inefficiencies, operational risk and ultimately cost.
Our MRO subject matter experts will lead your team through the structured process of defining and developing the required ERP-based processes, standard operating procedures (SOPs) and data capture templates while providing inventory walkdown support.
- Consistency of work execution – assuring the same parts are used consistently on the target asset. Improving asset health and longevity in service
- Error Proofing – removing the guesswork from material planning and therefore the risk.
- Enhanced Work Execution Management Processes – planning materials concurrently with asset and resource availability
- To improve schedule adherence – reducing material availability related job delays, particularly for “direct charge” or fabricated items.
- Supply Chain Process Integration – close ties between work planning, schedule and material management.